God's Canvas

God's Canvas

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Modesty

How can we teach our children about how important being modest is? I think it is so easy to justify what we and others wear because that is the norm to see girls and boys dressed immodestly. However, I have a problem with that... Ever since I was young (in middle school) it has bothered me to see girls and boys; but mostly girls dressed immodestly. 

I guess the reason I feel so passionately about it is because I think these girls know better. I feel that they have been taught the correct principles, but aren't really applying them. I think another reason it is so important to me is because I want them to know that they don't have to dress like that to get attention. Our bodies are temples and we need to dress them like temples. To me this doesn't mean dress from head to toe, but dress to the standards they were/are taught. 

I'm sure there are many parents out there that don't think it's a big deal. But hopefully there are some that do think it's a big deal. 

To answer the question: I think we as parents need to teach our children. Talk to them about why its important to us and why it should be important to them. My boy is not old enough to really have a deep conversation about modesty now, but I can still tell him it's important to me. 

Another thing we can do is start young. As far as I know my mom didn't dress me in immodest clothing when I was a baby. When I was a little girl my mom didn't allow me to dress immodestly. That's just how it was, and I was okay with that. (I'm sure I asked my mom a couple times to wear a tank top, but I don't think I pushed her too hard, because I knew the rules.) 

The last idea I have is to be an example. Most children want to be like their parents. I know I did. If you dress modestly then hopefully your children will want to as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment